Prometheus – Was I Supposed to Laugh?
I went to see Prometheus over the weekend. Was it just me, or is the plot so ridiculous it’s actually laughable? I mean, given the context of the story would you really:
- Go wandering helmetless on your first visit to an alien location, especially after you’ve seen the evidence that the aliens were killed by some sort of pathogen?
- Have an emergency medical system in the captain’s quarters which doesn’t understand female anatomy, and the captain’s a woman?
- Leave the charred body of a colleague, which has been infected by the aliens, on the doorstep of your spaceship without any attempt to “lock it down”?
- Not check that the ship’s geologist and colleague, who said “we’re just going back to the ship”, had actually done so?
- Pin a note to the wall warning said geologist & colleague not to sleep in the room with all the alien creepy crawlies?
- Bunk off for nooky with the captain when you’re the officer on watch, without at least deputising someone else?
- Etc, etc.
It’s said that Red Dwarf took their inspiration from the Alien films, rather than Star Trek. Based on this showing I’d say some of the DNA has gone the other way, too, only the Red Dwarf mob would be better prepared and disciplined.
I wanted to enjoy this film, but ended up plain annoyed. Not impressed.